Sunday, March 27, 2011

In Response to Erik Bergstroms "Tweet Tweet... BOOOMMM" post

To answer your question Erik, I would have to strongly agree with you when you said you believe that there is a greater meaning to social networking than just a way to meet people, advertise, or follow the stars. Like you said our generation is moving towards and possibly has reached a point where face-to-face communication is almost hard to come by. Now-a-days it seems as though people prefer to send a text, an email, or write on the persons facebook wall rather than call them or talk face-to-face. Although I am guilty of this as well I do believe that it is hurting us more than it is helping us as a society. Yes you can make the argument that it is convenient and it also gives you time to think about what you want to say before actually saying it, but all in all I believe this is having a negative impact. Getting rid of face-to-face communication between people is going to make everyone's social kills diminish rapidly and when it comes time for our generation and future generations to go on job interviews is one aspect where this will become a problem. Also one of the biggest reasons for why this has a negative impact is that without face-to-face communication you completely lose out on the tone in which people say things and their initial reactions, which can sometimes be more important than what their actually saying. Social Networking like facebook does have many positives but when it becomes addictive like it does to the majority of people I know many problems occur. Just a few days ago I decided to deactivate my facebook profile because I felt as though it was having a negative impact on me, and I do think that life will be easier without it. This is an extremely important issue and I think that people should really start to consider the possible negative ramification that social networking sites can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment